Saturday, December 6, 2008

Liz the Biz


I have been boxing for about six months now. It has put me in pretty good shape, and has made me a much higher esteemed person. I love it and recommend to everyone.

I finally decided to try sparring!

I immediately regretted my decision when I looked around while warming and saw 6 very large males. I am talking very big. I was worried, but my trainer had already gone through all the trouble of gearing me up. Luckily, by the time he was done another girl showed up. Not that that mattered too much, because my first round in the ring was against a very large male. My adrenaline was so out of control when the bell rang, I went crazy on the dude. My trainer started laughing, and the owner of the gym started yelling at they guy.

Cover your face! Push her back, push her back. Don't let her beat you like that! What are you doing?

My opponent: I'm trying, I'm trying.

I did pretty well my first round. I suspect I had the element of surprise on the guy. After all I am a 5'4, 125 lb white girl with braces. Like I mentioned before, my adrenalin was pretty out of control.

The second round I got a few punches in, my defense was pretty bad. I tripped over my own feet a little, and got a couple jabs to my face.

I also did a full round against the girl, which was fun. She was a little more experienced then I, but not by much.

By the third round the adrenalin was down and I was exhausted. I could barely stand up, much less throw a punch. I tried a couple of times, which resulted in a limp arm motion that my husband is not shy about demonstrating.

I found it fascinating that being punched in the face by a guy that looks like he could be a linebacker doesn't really hurt in the moment.

Today on the other hand sucks. I feel like a bus hit me. My whole body is very sore, especially my neck. I don't want to move.

Sparring was probably the most intense, invigorating, and frightening hour of my life. I am hooked. I will be doing it again. I am pretty dam proud of myself for going through with it.