Saturday, September 26, 2009

Who's University? Our University.



When I heard there was going to be a walkout over the budget cuts I was a little annoyed. I kind of rolled my eyes and said to myself if there is no money, a protest is not going to change that. I was happy my first two classes were canceled. Not because I wanted to go hold up signs and pump my fists in the air, but because my study group had an extra hour to go over our readings.
When I walked into the front gate of the University there were picketers and faculty in pink robes representing pink slips. The annoyance started bubbling a bit. What are these people going to get done? Why are they just standing around complaining? At least they have a job!

I went to my study group and then went to my lecture and when I came out the University was transformed into the grounds for the biggest demonstration I have ever seen in person. People were sitting on roofs, hanging off of railings, and sitting on window ledges. Various signs and banners were being displayed and people were pumping their fists in the air, and saying "Who's University? Our University!, Who's University? Our University!" I was a little frightened to be honest, but I stayed and watched. As I sat there and watched how passionate people were about the issues, and listened to the speakers I started becoming angry.

They were right. Why do I have to pay more for less classes? Why do I have to pay 32% more for underpaid, and overworked professors? Why do I have to pay 1,600 more a semester when classes for my major aren't even going to be offered? Why do I have pay the amount of out of state tuition because of an inefficient bureaucracy?

The students are the ones who live in closet size apartments, study day and night, and have gone through you name it to get into the fucken University. The professors wouldn't be able to do their jobs without the GSI's who are not only grad students, but they practically teach the classes! At the same time the professors are the experts, and their research, hard work, and dedication is paving the way for future generations in their field. We are the future of the University! We are the future changers of the World! This is our University!

Someone told me on Friday the protests in front of Sproul was the largest gathering since the Vietnam War. I realized I am part of something big. The Economy is bad. The state I live is bankrupt. Education is becoming less accessible. The U.S is fighting two wars. ( the airports are flooded with military service men leaving and coming home.) We have our first black President ( who I am still a huge supporter of ). People are angry, people are suffering, systems are crumbling, and the world is changing. Students need to be trained, not exploited. We need to arm ourselves and be ready to take on these problems.

We are the world changers. We are the future.

Who's University? Our University!

Who's University? My University!

We worked for it, we paid for it, we can change it!

No comments: